Bienvenido

Hi! It's Mrs. Tunison, here in Spain. I couldn't just leave Randall and not keep in touch with everyone for the year, so I decided to start this blog so that you could follow my adventures around Europe. I hope you enjoy reading about my travels and looking at my pictures from all these amazing places I get to see on my year-long summer vacation! I miss all of you back at Randall and would love to hear from you. Leave a comment and keep me updated on all the changes in your own lives... and remember, "Once a Superstar, ALWAYS a Superstar!"

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Last Bite of the Big Apple

About a month ago, we spent our last day in NYC. Pause a moment for a sigh. On Wednesday night we discussed what we wanted to do with our last few hours in the Big Apple. Our flight wasn't until 9:00 pm, but we'd have to leave Marissa's apartment at 5 to make sure we found a cab during rush hour to take us to the airport. Plus, it was an international flight, so we wanted to arrive a little earlier than usual. That left us with a good half day to do any last minute sightseeing...

We decided no trip to NYC is complete without visiting at least one museum. So, we headed for the MoMA! Jeff's not a big museum person, so I wasn't sure how long we'd last. As I walked around and listened to the audio guides of various paintings, Jeff had my camera and took pictures of his favorite ones. My favorites were Monet's Water Lilies. I loved their colors!!! Those of you who were in my class last year, you know we studied France for the Randall Olympics. Remember that Elias had to research Monet... I actually got to see some of his famous Water Lilies paintings! I sat at the bench and just stared at the huge paintings that took up 3 walls. It made me even more excited to be in Paris and see more of his beautiful work! 


On the 4th floor, we saw a copy of Van Gogh's Starry Night, which also made me more excited about our upcoming trip to Amsterdam! I was surprised. We had already almost 2 and a half hours in the MoMa, and had only seen 2.5 floors...and Jeff hadn't complained yet! ;) We decided we still wanted to possibly squeeze in a Yankee Stadium Tour, so we left the MoMa and hightailed it to the subway to head to the Bronx. Yankee Stadium is in the Bronx neighborhood of NYC, which is why they are sometimes called the "Bronx Bombers" for their great hitting (all the home runs they hit). 

It was still the All-Star break, so there were no games scheduled for the day, and the area was fairly deserted. I can't imagine what it's like on game days in the summer humidity with everyone taking the 6; I'm sweating just thinking about it. Anyway, as soon as we stepped off the subway, we were greeted by the gigantic stadium that is Yankee Stadium. Unfortunately, we hadn't planned ahead, and the next tour wasn't available until 2:30, which would have made us cut it too close to our departure time, so we couldn't tour the stadium. :( We walked around the Babe Ruth Concourse and chilled for a bit before jumping back on the subway. I was pretty disappointed. 

When we got back to Manhattan, we decided to try out 5 Guys Burgers for lunch, knowing that our next meal would be at the airport (or on the plane), and that the hamburgers just aren't the same in Spain. They were definitely delicious and filling!

I'm glad we planned extra time for traveling/checking in, because it definitely was more stressful than a typical flight. But we made it! We got to chill at the airport for a little while, and made last phone calls home since neither of us are using our phones in Spain. 

On board, we settled in with our goodies from Air Berlin: pillow, blanket, eye mask, ear plugs, socks (and a travel toothbrush/toothpaste), and tried our best to fall asleep for our red eye...

Farewell NYC...and USA. ¡¡¡Hasta Luego!!! 

Side note: the MoMA photos are curtesy of Jeff...


Picasso painting: Pablo Picasso was a famous Spanish artist who co-founded the Cubist Movement.  I'll see more of his work when we arrive to Spain! 

Dali: Salvador Dali was another famous Spanish artist who specialized in surrealist paintings. Again, I'll see more of his work in Spain!
The Persistence of Memory
http://www.moma.org/collection/object.php?object_id=79018


Monet! Claude Monet was a famous French artist, founder of Impressionist paintings. I'll write more about him in my Paris posts! 

Water Lilies! So, so, so beautiful! 


http://www.moma.org/collection/object.php?object_id=80220




More Picasso, The Three Musicians
http://www.moma.org/collection/object.php?object_id=78630

Marc Chagell

Matisse, The Red Studio
http://www.moma.org/collection/object.php?object_id=78389

The painting below is supposed to be a picture of a soccer player's calf, what do you think? I like the colors and geometry of the painting! 

Umberto Boccioni's Dynamism of a Soccer Player (read the description above)

Van Gogh's Starry Night
http://www.moma.org/collection/object.php?object_id=79802

Yankee Stadium in the Bronx, Gate 6, off the 6 Subway Line

Looks Romanesque-- old, legendary, powerful, rich. This is actually the new Yankee Stadium, built in 2009. 


No comments:

Post a Comment